The Royal Netherlands Embassy in Washington, D.C. (hereafter the Embassy) and the Consulate General in New York (hereafter the Consulate) are holding a design competition (hereafter the Design Competition).
The purpose of this Design Competition is to create a small, smart, and functional product designed and inspired by renowned Dutch Design.
The 10 best designs will be selected from the submitted designs. The winner will be chosen out of those 10 selected designs in mid-April, 2014.
The winning design will be produced. The item produced will be used by the Dutch diplomatic network in the US (Embassy in Washington and Consulates General) to be given away to important contacts.
RULES OF ENGAGEMENT DESIGN COMPETITION
(hereafter the Rules of Engagement)
- Participation in this Design Competition is free of charge and open to everyone.
- Participants do not have to be a professional designer.
- One design can be submitted by more than one person, in which event the design will be considered as one submission.
4. Participants must e-mail their design to DutchCultureUSA@gmail.com no later than March 7, 2014. Submissions received, for whatever reason, after March 7, 2014, will be excluded from the Design Competition.
Competition and announcements
5. The 10 best designs will be nominated from the submitted designs.
6. The 10 nominated designs will be announced early April, 2014.
7. The winning design will be selected out of the 10 nominated designs.
8. The winning design will be announced in mid-April, 2014.
9. Both the nominated designs and the winning design will be announced on this website.The nominated designers and the winner will also be informed personally (by e-mail).
Nominated designs and winning design
10. The 10 nominated designs will be printed in 3D format and exhibited in New York. The 10 nominated designs will also be published on the Internet, on this website, and via social media.
11. The winning design will be brought into production in an amount of around 500 and purchased by the Netherlands Embassy and the Consulates General in the USA for the purpose of a gift to be given away to important contacts in the United States. Kikkerland plans to offer the winning design (worldwide) via its website to the benefit of the designer. The designer of the winning design shall further be offered a one-week in-house residency at the 3D-company Shapeways in New York. Travel costs and costs of accommodation included.
12. The following people are on the selection committee: Jan van der Lande (CEO Kikkerland), Duann Scott (Design Evangelist Shapeways), Jan Habraken (FormNation), Alissia Melka-Teichroew (ByAMT), Ron Labaco, Curator at the Museum of Arts and Design and Exhibition Curator for Out of Hand; Rudolf Bekink (Ambassador for the Netherlands in the United States), and Jan Kennis (Cultural Attaché and Head of the Press and Cultural department in New York).
Selection criteria and selection
13. Each submitted design shall be judged on the basis of the following criteria: functionality, sustainability, and the renowned “subtle sense of humor” of Dutch Design. The winning design must be marketable and fit to be given away to important contacts of the Dutch Embassy or Consulates General in the United States.
14. Each submission must contain the following:
a. representative images/drawings of the design in a digital file (preferably in pdf-format)
b. Designers are also encouraged to submit CAD 3D drawings with the following File Extensions: 3DM, 3DS, IGS, LWO, OBJ, SLDPRT, SLDASM, STEP, STL, WRL. Kikkerland will be able to assist with a CAD drawing if select designers from the top 10 submissions are not able to do so. Shapeways will be 3D printing these designs.
c. a completed participation form.
The design and intellectual property rights
15. The submitted design must be new, in the sense that it must be designed after January 1, 2013.
16. The submitted designed may not be made public yet via any website or in any other way, and until the final selection of the winning design, the participant shall not participate in any other competition with the submitted design. Until the date of the selection of the winning design, the participant shall not publish in any way the submitted design.
17. The participant remains under any event the owner of the copyrights and other intellectual property rights vested in the submitted design.
18. The participant herewith grants to the Embassy and the Consulates General the rights to reproduce and publish the submitted design for any purpose within the Design Competition. Such rights will contain (among others) the right to (i) print the submitted design in 2D- and 3D-form, (ii) publish the submitted design both offline (exhibitions etc.) and online (websites, social media etc.), (iii) have the submitted design manufactured (around 500 pieces) to be used for the purpose as described in paragraph 12, and (iv) publish the submitted design in a brochure and other media regarding the Design Competition.
19. For the design printed in 2D- or 3D-form, it can be desirable and/or necessary to adjust the design. The designer herewith accepts for such event any such adjustment.
20. On each design, printed in 3D-form, the name of the designer shall be credited.
21. The participant declares that his design does not infringe on any third-party rights and that he is free to participate in this Design Competition.
22. The participant warrants that he is the sole designer of the submitted design or, in the event the design was submitted together with others as referred to in the design form (paragraph 15), that he and these others are the sole designers of the submitted design.
23. The participant indemnifies the Embassy and the Consulates General against any third-party claim, such as a claim that the submitted design would infringe on any third party (intellectual property) rights.
Cooperation Shapeways and Kikkerland
24. For this Design Competition, the Embassy and the Consulates General are working in close cooperation with Shapeways and Kikkerland.
25. Shapeways specializes in 3D-printing. Shapeways shall print the nominated designs and the winning design in 3D-format.
26. Kikkerland is the manufacturer and sales organization of inventive and marketable designs, focusing in the field of products with a smart combination of form and function.
27. In the event Kikkerland decides to take into production and sell via its website the winning design, it shall enter into a separate agreement with the designer of the winning design. The terms of conditions of Kikkerland shall be applicable to such agreement. This agreement and the applicable terms and conditions will contain (among others) that the designer will remain the holder of the intellectual property rights vested in the design and that the designer will be entitled to receive the market standard royalty of 5% on each design sold by or via Kikkerland. The Embassy and the Consulates General are no party to this agreement.
28. Only one application per participant will be allowed.
29. Only submissions that are in compliance with the rules of the Design Competition will be subject to the selection by the selection committee.
30. No correspondence will be exchanged regarding the Design Competition, nor the selection of the nominated designs or the winning design.
31. The Embassy and the Consulates General reserve the right to exclude any submission from the Design Competition, either before or after the selection of the nominated designs or the winning design.
32. Participation is at the own risk and expense of the participant.
33. The liability of both the Embassy and the Consulates General is, to the extent permitted by law, excluded. Under any event, the Embassy and the Consulates General are not responsible for: (i) any application that is lost, late, stolen, incomplete, damaged or undelivered for any reason; (ii) any problems or technical malfunctions in transmission, communication failures or human error that may occur in the transmission, receipt or processing of applications; (iii) destruction of or unauthorized access to, or alteration of applications; and (iv) failed or unavailable hardware, network or software, or any other causes that jeopardize the administration, security, integrity or proper conduct of the Design Competition. The Embassy and the Consulates General are further not responsible: (i) incorrect or inaccurate prize claim information, or for any other errors of any kind; or (ii) misrepresentation, cheating or fraud by any Participant. If any of the foregoing render the promotion incapable of operating as planned, the Embassy and the Consulates General, at their sole discretion, may postpone or terminate this Design Competition.
34. Employees of the Dutch government are excluded from participating in the Design Contest.
35. Notwithstanding paragraph 14, the selection committee has the freedom to select the nominated designs and the winning design in the way the selection committee seems fit.
36. In the event that any paragraph is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Rules of Engagement shall otherwise remain in effect and the invalid or otherwise unenforceable paragraph shall be replaced with a new and valid paragraph that accomplishes as much as possible the original paragraph.
37. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Design Competition-related materials and these Rules of Engagement, these Rules of Engagement shall prevail.
38. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between these Rules of Engagement in English and the Dutch version thereof (see Deelnemingsvoorwaarden), these Rules of Engagement in English shall prevail.
39. The laws of the Kingdom of the Netherlands are applicable and the courts of The Hague have exclusive jurisdiction.