From February 8 until May 12, the traveling exhibition “Stereotype: New Directions in Typography,” including work by Remco van de Craats and Edhv, will be on view at DePauw University’s Peeler Art Center.
Historically, typography has been designed with two axes in mind, x and y. Today, in contrast, designers are broadening their perceptions about type to accommodate the added dimensions of a digital experiential world. Recent innovations in type design take principles of animation, interactivity, and kinetic movement and combine them with traditional components of typography, resulting in pioneering explorations in motion typography. Stereotype is a groundbreaking exhibition that presents work by an array of established and up-and-coming designers from the UK, Japan, Canada, France, the US, Israel, Germany, Australia, and the Netherlands.
Remco van de Craats and Edhv
Design studio Ehdv is located in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, and is run by Remco van de Craats, one of its founders. Ehdv describes itself as being an “architect of identity” and prides itself for not specializing in anything (unless they want to). This way the studio is always free to explore different aspects of an identity. The studio is multidisciplinary, so all aspects of an identity are fully integrated. Different creative disciplines lead to innovative and surprising results.
About DePauw University Peeler Art Center
The Peeler Art Center features three spacious galleries and hosts approximately 10 exhibitions annually. Included among the building’s 80,000 square feet are three large exhibition spaces; a 90-seat auditorium with state-of-the-art acoustics, designed for public events, films and recitals; classroom and studio space for pottery, sculpture, painting and photography; and offices for the art department faculty. The building is the first in DePauw’s history to be dedicated to the teaching, creation, and display of art.
The building is named for Richard E. Peeler, a 1949 graduate of DePauw. Peeler returned to his alma mater in 1958 to teach ceramics, sculpture, and photography. Following his retirement from DePauw in 1972, he and his wife Marj became full-time potters at their home and studio in Putnam County until his death in 1998.