Until October 23, Rembrandt and several other Dutch Masters will be featured in an exhibit on collecting Old Masters at the Milwaukee Art Museum in Milwaukee, WI.
The age-old tradition of collecting European Renaissance and Baroque art began in the very years in which the artworks were created and continues unabated today, including here in Wisconsin and the surrounding region. Yet because many of these treasures are held in private collections, the public seldom, if ever, gets the occasion to see them.
During this exclusive presentation, Museum visitors will have the opportunity to enjoy paintings and drawings by masters such as Rembrandt van Rijn and Parmigianino, selected from the rich collections that reside within only a few hundred miles of the Museum.
“From Rembrandt to Parmigianino: Old Masters from Private Collections” also marks the happy occasion of two recent gifts to the Museum from the great Milwaukee connoisseur and collector of old master paintings, Alfred Bader. Not only has Dr. Bader been a longtime supporter of the Museum, but over his lifetime, he has also assembled one of the great collections of Dutch and Flemish paintings, a generous number of which will be on view in the exhibition.
On October 11, 1:30 PM, the museum will organize a gallery talk with curator Tanya Paul, providing an in-depth look at the works in the exhibition.
On October 15, 2 PM, the Milwaukee Art Museum will organize a lecture in the Lubar Auditorium with Arthur Wheelock, Dutch Golden Age Art expert and curator of northern Baroque paintings at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC. The lecture will be related to the ‘From Rembrandt to Parmigianino’ exhibition, focussing on the life and work of Rembrandt, through the lens of works from local collections.
The Milwaukee Art Museum collects and preserves art, presenting it to the community as a vital source of inspiration and education. 30,000 works of art. 400,000+ visitors a year. 125 years of collecting art. From its roots in Milwaukee’s first art gallery in 1888, the Museum has grown today to be an icon for Milwaukee and a resource for the entire state. The 341,000-square-foot Museum includes the War Memorial Center (1957) designed by Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinen, the Kahler Building (1975) by David Kahler, and the Quadracci Pavilion (2001) created by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. Central to the Museum’s mission is its role as a premier educational resource, with educational programs that are among the largest in the nation, involving classes, tours, and a full calendar of events for all ages.